Year One. - My Time In Memphis
I was having a conversation with a member of Fellowship Memphis not long ago and as I was telling the story about how we landed in Memphis, I realized how crazy it was. A year ago, while 8 1/2 months pregnant, my family and I moved from our 3bd/2bth home and two full-time salaried jobs in Daytona Beach, FL.,... to moving in with family so that I could start a pastoral residency program. Uprooting your family without the financial security of another job or housing for your pregnant wife and kids is absolutely ludicrous to some ... and it was for me too... but it was worth it. In a time where I was desperate to lead change in the world by God's mission, I used to say "I want to be used in such a way that people think I'm crazy for serving Jesus in a way that they don't yet understand." For years we prayed for an opportunity to be trained in ministry that changed cities by changing the lives of the people who live in them. All for the glory of Jesus Christ. This last year has been one of the most fruitful of my entire life, so I wanted to share a few of the things that God allowed us to be a part of in Year One of our journey to learn, grow and serve...
Year in Review:
- Joined Fellowship Memphis Staff
- Assigned to the Colonial Outpost
- Robyn Kaycee Cogdell born
- Added to the Benevolence/Counseling team.
- Joined Operation Hope as a monthly speaker
- Fellowship Memphis Colonial Outpost moved to a different facility, Harding Academy
- Chapel Speaker at New Hope Christian Academy
- Moved into a new apartment in Cordova, TN., (Memphis)
- Emptied storage locker in Daytona Beach
- Preached at Teen Challenge Memphis
- Casted vision for a mid-city church plant in Daytona Beach, with Christ Community Church.
- Pastoral staff at Fellowship Memphis welcomes Jason Cook as the Associate Pastor of Preaching
- Invited to join the regular teaching rotation at Teen Challenge Memphis.
- Started a missional Senior Living ministry for the elderly at Town Village Audubon Park Senior Living Facility
- Preached at Visible Music College
- Led the church in communion
- Kicked off #FMSummer
- Announced the addition of a 4th Fellowship Memphis Outpost in Collierville, TN.
- Served as camp speaker for the SOS 114 Summer Camp
- Preached at the Fellowship Student Ministries Summer Retreat
- Served as camp speaker at the For The Kingdom Youth Camp.
- Spent time with Christ Community Church to cast vision for partnering for a church plant.
- Started the Fellowship Memphis Preaching Cohort
- Transferred to Fellowship Downtown Outpost as a Pastoral Resident and Site Director
- Joined the leadership team of the Bartlett Fellowship Group (community/small group)
We came to Memphis with the desire to be poured into, coached on pastoring especially in the multiethnic church context and to gain knowledge on church planting. As of this very moment, I have been able to get a piece of all of these things. I have been a part of teams that have relocated a church from one place to another in the span of a month, I've met with church planters in Memphis and all over the nation, I've served youth and young adults as a speaker and counselor and I have led sever`l teams in different ministries from ushering and greeting to serving a group of elderly residents at a senior living facility. I've also gotten to practice pastoral counseling, preaching/teaching, discipling and the nuts and bolts of starting a ministry.
In the next year in Memphis, I'd like to:
- Learn more about planting a multiethnic church
- Grow the ministries that I've started or lead by 20%
- Disciple 3 young men
- Preach at 5 local churches